My hair has recently become a significant frustration. After being forced (strongly requested?) to chop my half-way-down-my-back locks into a bob worthy of Teased-Eighties-Tresses for a play (THE PLAY. THE BEST PRODUCTION EVER. Noises Off) I have spent the last 4 years fighting the "to grow or not to grow" war.
"To Grow" has won the longer than necessary war and really should be embarrassed that it took this long to pull out the victory. We all knew it would win from the beginning... To it's credit, "Not to Grow" won several minor battles threatening any chance of a graceful comeback for "To Grow." Regardless of the fight - we have a winner.
My hair is now only a few (3? 4?) inches shy of my ideal length and is most certainly in a workable place. I like the most recent color choice (interestingly enough - the darker the better. I spent years and beaucoup dollars getting the highlights and wondering why I always felt so blah... give me some straight up dark brunette and I'm a happy girl. Also note: Red is a very very poor choice on my head.). So, "what's the frustration?" you ask?
I am disgusted with the cut. Embarrassed by the fried-over-flat-ironed ends. Sick of my bangs and unable to find a stylist that lands somewhere between, "Oh, the shaggy short layers and choppy angles are in" and "Plain no layers with awkward bangs are in." JUST CUT THE LAYERS AND THE BANGS THE WAY I ASK. JUST DO IT.
I would desperately love to grow out my bangs, however I have the dreaded "5 finger forehead." "what is that?" you say - just ask Tyra. On many a makeover episode of pick-a-season America's Next Top Model, Tyra will often bond with an aspiring model and console her fears of bearing the "5 finger forehead" or a forehead that is too big... So when I do not have my bangs covering my enormous forehead, I swear that forehead is like a beacon - no - a whole lighthouse of awareness screaming at anyone within eyesight, "LOOK AT MY ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF FACE ABOVE THE EYEBROWS!!!" Needless to say - it is a cross I still struggle to bear.
Additionally, I miss my wavy hair, which really only waves when it is long (we're getting there), however in recent weeks I have been very disappointed with the curl enhancing products that I used to love.
This one is too crunchy!
This one is not curly enough!
This one causes too much frizz!
I hope that in finding a new curl product I can, in turn, reduce the flat-iron injuries and increase the health of my hair to a point where I can once again enjoy it. I used to. So here's hoping. Any product advice is welcome - my experimental funds will dry up the second my husband sees an alarmingly enormous collection of new hair care.
A lady's hair is her permanent accessory. I need an accessory that I am proud to show off.

No comments:
Post a Comment